It’s not easy to pick the right home when there are a couple of friendly paws following you. Pet owners know that going house-hunting can be complicated, as there are more conditions to add to your wish list. However, once you find the most suitable home for you and your furry friend, it all becomes worth it! Looking for a home should start with picking a great location. Luckily, if you’re moving to California, there are plenty of amazing places to choose from. This guide will help you narrow the options and focus only on the best places in California for dog owners. Browse our list of top dog-friendly locations and start the house-hunting process as soon as possible!
Why is California a great choice for pet owners?
Even though it’s not the state with the highest number of pet owners, this doesn’t make California less dog-friendly. In fact, the Golden State is in the top 10 pet-friendly states, which surely is a bonus if you’re moving here with your furry friend. There are many dog-friendly restaurants, hotels, and stores across the state, as well as some amazing dog parks, but also the great outdoor location you can together go hiking, running, and more. Furthermore,California makes a great place to live for a number of different reasons:
- Easy access to the ocean – not only you’ll live close to a beach, but your dog will also love spending time near water. Most Californians live along the coast, and there’s no need to explain why this region is the most densely populated;
- Amazing weather means more opportunities to spend more time outside. Californians enjoy a lot of sunshine throughout the year, but the climate can vary depending on the region;
- Promotion of healthy and active lifestyle – residents of California truly value the active lifestyle, and living here makes it easy to maintain such habits;
- A booming economy and great job opportunities in numerous industries.
California truly makes a safe and free place to live. With all the sunshine, amazing local wines, and tasty food, there’s not much we can say against your decision to move here. But let’s see the best locations you should consider as a pet owner coming to the Golden State
This amazing city is probably the highest-ranked city for pet owners. The place has a reputation as a very dog-friendly city in California, which makes it a great choice if you’re moving to this part of the country. There are plenty of dog parks around the city, dogs are allowed on public transportation (BART and MUNI), there are many dog-friendly cafes and restaurants, and finally – you’ll have no trouble finding a home here. The pet-friendly accommodation is not a rare thing in San Francisco, especially around dog parks and similar dog-friendly locations. Some of the best dog parks include Alta Plaza off-leash park, Golden Gate Park, Upper Douglass dog park, Fort Funston, and more.
The City of Angels is surely one of the top choices when it comes to the best places in California for dog owners. It’s not only a great place for celebrities and the entertainment industry; it’s actually one of the most dog-friendly places in the country. Dog owners will find it easy to spoil their furry friends with amazing outdoors but also include them in their everyday activities as most places allow pets. However, living in LA comes with a higher price tag, so be sure to plan everything right to make your move as cost-efficient as possible. Hire an agent to find you a home according to your budget, as LA is the second-most-expensive city in the country. When it comes to moving, Affordable Reliable Moving Company suggests you don’t look for the cheapest option, as those often turn out to be bad-quality or even fraudulent ones. Instead, do some research and pick a team with reasonable prices but with many satisfied customers, as well.
If you’re looking for a great job and have a dog at the same time – Sacramento might tick off most of your requirements. The capital of California is a great place to live, but it’s even better if you can experience it with a furry friend. The city also has a great location, as you have easy access to many of California’s top attractions and destinations. Furthermore, Sacramento offers a high-quality lifestyle at a lower price – it’s more affordable than some other big California cities. Sacramento has 3.1 dog parks for every 100,000 residents, over 100 dog-friendly restaurants, and a couple of shopping centers that allow pets as well. It’s not a difficult decision to make and move here for good!
The American Riviera is a place where both you and your dog can enjoy it with all your senses. Santa Barbara is a city on the central California coast where people move for its amazing weather and similarity to the Mediterranean. It’s loved by outdoor enthusiasts as there are many natural attractions, which is another sign you should consider finding a home right here.
Moving with your dog to California
Picking a location and finding a home is one part of the process. You also need to organize a move with your pet, and sometimes it can get challenging. Here are some tips for an easy and safe dog-friendly relocation:
- Start preparations on time – let your dog get used to all the boxes around the house, so they don’t get nervous when the moving day arrives;
- Stick to your pet’s routines – try not to change your dog’s daily routines and ensure less stress for your companion. Moving with a dog can get hectic, so try to make this transition as seamless as possible for them.
- Be patient – it can take a while for your dog to get used to the new environment. Be patient and keep them safe at all times, as running away from a new home is, unfortunately, a common thing during the adjustment period.
Finally, don’t forget to inform yourself of all the laws and regulations that apply to come to California with a pet. Get all the necessary vaccination, as well as documents necessary for this move, so you avoid unnecessary complications. It will ensure a peaceful journey to your new home in one of the best places in California for dog owners.